Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Last Tour of Duty

12 July 1958
"The weather out here is getting much warmer every day. The water is a sky blue. I wish that you could see it. I know that you would enjoy it...The other day we all received four (4) shots in the arm. I don't know what they were all for. But we are supposed to receive them every six months...Take care of the children and don't work too hard. Get to bed early...Oh yes, we get into Pearl Harbor tomorrow morning about 8:00 o'clock...I hope to get to see Denson this time. Maybe I can get a free meal from him...How are the children? I'll bet Timmy misses me. I hope he does. But just tell him that Daddy will be gone for a long time and he'll bring him something back when we come back. I wish I could stay there in Chula Vista all my life but I guess this is the way it has to be for a short time...Take care of yourself and don't worry about anything."

Ruth, Buss, and the kids -- 1958.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment