Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Nagasaki

4 December 1958
"We are down in Nagasaki where the 2nd atomic bomb fell during the war. I went ashore with three other chiefs today and walked my legs off. I took my movie camera ashore with me and took a few feet of pictures. You can't see where the bomb fell anymore. We got on a street car at one end of the line and rode it till it came to the other end of the line. All four of us rode for 50 yen (14 cents). This town is much larger than Sasebo and it has many new stores in it. I paid for the street car ride and some of the other Chiefs paid for some peanut brittle so I did not spend too much...I am certainly glad that we have our little house. It's so nice and comfy for us. I really have to hand it to you for living in those trailers like you did without crying about it. I lot of women would not have lived in it one nite. So let me tell you again, I really appreciate it very much...So be brave till I get back, will you dear. I know that it's hard on you there with the two children. But Dear, I'll make up for it someway."

  
One of 'those trailers' about which Buss wrote.
"our little house...nice and comfy for us."



 

No comments:

Post a Comment