Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"Just hold on a little longer..."

7 December 1958
"Dear I just received a letter from you that was written on the first of the Month and you seemed very depressed...I don't imagine that shouting at him will have any effect on him so I'll have to talk to him when I get there...We are here in Nagasaki. I went ashore the other day and seen what I wanted to see. If anyone is short of money, I am and I am trying to get by on what I have so I don't want you to feel bad about it...Yesterday and today we are having Open house for the Japanese people and they are roaming all over this ship. Yesterday I was told that over 4,000 people came to visit the ship...I'll really be looking forward to seeing you and the children in the movies [filmed at the Christmas Party for the dependents of the sailors out at sea]. Now don't be afraid and really say what you want to. Remember it's you talking to me, not to anyone else...I promise to write more often to you as I know you are suffering back there. Just hold on a little longer, please dear."


No comments:

Post a Comment