Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Thursday, December 12, 2013

"5 or 10 spot"

3 May 1957
"Yes, this is Hong Kong and I am really glad to be leaving here tomorrow at 9:00 AM. This is one place that I do not care to see again, and I won't if I have my way about it...I took a bus ride as far as it would go one way and then got on another one and took it back again. Then I went over to Koloon, which is a part of Red China. I walked down a street till I thought I had better turn around and come back...it turned out to be restricted to Military Personnel. I never got picked up so I guess I had an honest looking face...Say I want to send you a picture of me. It was taken when I was asleep in the Chief's mess one day after eating...If you have an old dirty 5 or 10 dollar bill around the house that you don't know what to do with, would you be so kind to just drop it in the next letter that you write to me...I have tough sledding on 6 dollars a pay day sometime. And a 5 or 10 spot would certainly help out..."
The picture which Buss referred to in this letter.





No comments:

Post a Comment