Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

"Your Far away Husband"

28 April 1957
"Well here I am in Hong Kong. We arrived here this morning about 8:00 and I happened to have the first watch on the quarterdeck. Boy I never seen anything like it. You should have seen all the "Bum Boats" coming around and trying to sell their wares. I had all that I could possibly do to shoo them away from the gangway so that our own boats could come alongside. I had to wear my whites back there along with all the trouble that I had. I sure hope that I never have to stand another watch like that again as long as I live...The further south we came, the hotter the weather was. So I figured that I had better sleep on the "Top Side". So I got myself a cot out of the store room and put my blankets on it and a sheet and slept out under the stars...We are right close to Red China so you can see that we have to be on the alert most of the time."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment