Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Thursday, December 19, 2013

"CPO initiation"

10 June 1957
"I had a long talk with Denson just before I went to the showers. He was laying in his bunk reading a magazine. He told me that he had himself "fixed" up today so he and his wife can't have any more children. He was trying to talk me into the same thing but I am undecided as yet. I will say, if I want it done, over here would be the place to have it done. As one can have it done for about $10.00 while in the States the price would be around $60.00 or so. But I don't think that I will have it done while over here...Well have you been to New York as yet? I expect that you will be taking a trip there one day before you leave there. You see that will be the last time for a long time. I don't expect to go back to Illinois till I get another car and the children are grown up a bit...They are having a large initiation over in the club for the chiefs on Sunday afternoon. They have to go before a court and give their testimony and all kinds of stuff. I wish that you could see that too."
Ike (Buss' brother), Dorothy, Buss, & Ruth in Roanoke, IL--1968

Their camper for this trip to Illinois-1968

No comments:

Post a Comment