Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Friday, December 27, 2013

Typhoon

27 June 1957
"I guess you have been reading about the typhoon that we just had out here. We expected it to pass here around this morning but it veered off course and missed us by about 40 miles or so. We had all our boats taken in from the water and then lashed everything down for the high winds to hit us. But thank goodness no winds came...All the ships were not giving liberty last nite...I guess you have received the picture of me by this time. I will still have one left yet. Maybe I can sell it to the Newspapers for a fortune...I took my uniforms over the other nite and had some Gold Hash marks and a rating badge sewed on...So your going to get your hair do about the first of July. Well I hope you have plenty cut off this time. Because it will make you look much younger if you do. Please keep Timmie's hair cut all the time. As I don't want a shaggy boy following me around."

Note: On this date, June 27th, 32 years in the future, Buss and Ruth's second grand daughter will be born, Emily Ruth, and will join their second grand son, Nathaniel Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment