Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Saturday, December 7, 2013

"Watch list"

16 April 1957
"Oh yes, I can tell you this, but I don't dare tell anyone aboard this ship. The Senior Watch officer, the officer who makes out all the watch lists for the chiefs and Officers, called me up the other day and told me that he was taking me off the watch list. I told him, Yes, Sir. If I told some of the other chiefs, I would be ridiculed for time to come. But I am just keeping my mouth shut and if they find out by other means, then that is OK...So far so good for your truely. You see that means that I won't have to stand anymore watches. But I don't know how long that will last...Well Timmy I see in the picture that your mother sent me that you were talking over the telephone. Was you talking to Daddy? I wish that I could be there to talk to you. We would have a good time running around, wouldn't we? I must go now, Timmy, so take good care of Mother for me will you."
Clark A. Gerdes, USN circa World War II

 

No comments:

Post a Comment