Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Saturday, December 28, 2013

"Hello There Stranger:"

4 July 1957
"Hello There Stranger: Well here it is the 4th of July and I just finished eating a good ham dinner along with all the other things that go with it...I filled up on ham and potatoes, dressing, and cranberry sauce. Well I went over and played "Bingo" last nite over at the club. Then we had a floor show. All it was, was a couple of people singing and then they had the original "Sad Sack" of the movies. He was quite good. He cracked a couple of rare jokes that went over pretty good...I was drinking orange juice last nite. I even got one of the biggest drinkers to drink orange juice with me last nite...How are my two children. I have not heard from you for a week or so...Be sure that they have plenty of nice clothes to wear. You know that they have such cute little dresses for girls, and I have seen some very nice suits for Timmy. When he gets big enough I am going to get him a bow tie to wear with a shirt...By Golly, only two and half weeks and I'll be heading for home. I just wish that I had a good home to go back to. But we will have one before too long."
Timmy in his suit and Sandra in her dress. Circa 1958.

No comments:

Post a Comment