Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Saturday, June 8, 2013

21 November 1951

"Well Sugar Darling,...this is the last letter that you will receive from me for a long time. I can't tell you why, but I will someday...It is something very important....I'll let you know when you can write me again."

Note: This was the last letter from the Halsey Powell that Buss wrote to Ruth. The next piece of correspondence coming is dated January 2, 1952 from the USS Quincy. It would be my guess that Buss received his orders for leave or officer school and left for the States quickly. I am told that it is considered bad luck to inform your loved ones of your impending return, so this may be why Buss did not say anything further to Ruth. 
The following commendation was written by the Commanding Officer on 23 November 1951 for his service aboard the USS Halsey Powell during the Korean War.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment