Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Sunday, December 15, 2013

"outstanding"

17 May 1957
"I was sorta holding off on the writing to the folks as I did not have any stamps. I borrowed one from Denson the other nite and wrote to you. But I have paid him back already so we are square again...I'll bet that plane ride was quite a thrill for you wasn't it. You always told me that you would not go up in a plane with out me. Then you take both children up with you. Wow, are you ever brave. But there isn't anything to worry about is there. At least I don't think so...We had an inspection in whites the other day and one of the chiefs took my pictures in whites and it came out very good. He gave me the picture and told me that I could keep it. Well I surely appreciated it very much...We had our annual inspection the other day and I received an "outstanding" in my storerooms. So told the boys that rated it, to have a 48 this week. They are the ones that deserve the extra liberty."

Note: I just now got off the phone after visiting with this same 'Denson' about whom Buss wrote. He is nearly 92 years old and has a detailed memory of life on the USS Sperry and USS Ajax with Buss. They shared the same desk on the Ajax. 
 
Buss Gerdes, May 1957 Japan

No comments:

Post a Comment