Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Friday, January 17, 2014

"I am not a fighter, but a lover"

9 October 1958
"I received a letter from mom the other day and she asked me what was wrong with me that she had not received a letter for almost a month. So I made up my mind that I would write tonite no matter what happened...I had boat officer last nite. You see sometimes the ship puts a chief in the boats to ride back and forth so that the drunks don't get into trouble on the way back to the ship. I only had one fight in the boat last nite so I guess I can consider myself lucky. Sometimes the sailors fight all the time. I always tell them that I am not a fighter but a lover...By the way, how are the trees and other plants in the yard? Do they need rain or watering. I don't mean any harm, I am just concerned about my yard. I want it to look nice...I got my certificate for Permanent Appointment to Chief today. The Captain himself presented it to me...Well Darling, I love you very much and I will try my very best to make life worth living for you and the children."

Ruth, in front of the bushes in their yard.

Buss, in front of the bushes in their yard.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment