Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Monday, January 13, 2014

"312 days..."

9 September 1958
"First of all we are still down here in the harbor of Okinawa. I hear that we will be here indefinitely. So you can figure from that how long we will be here. Last Sunday afternoon I took a tour of the Island along with about 30 other persons on the ship. I did not cost me one red cent so I figured that I could not lose anything anyway. Most of us had our camera along so I took several feet of movie film with my trusty little brownie...I told you about the time I went swimming down in Guam. Well I have little sores coming out on me now. Some sort of a fungus I think. I have been putting on some sort of an iodine or something. It looks like a ringworm...I know how you must be suffering from not having me around...Just think I will be out of this Navy in about 312 days, counting 30 days leave that I will take upon returning to the States."


Ruth. Circa 1958.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment