Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pontiac

4 October 1958
"I don't want you to think that I forgot to remember your birthday. I would rather wait till I get back there to give you something...I try every nite [to write] but then I get so sleepy. The other nite I fell asleep in one of the big couches in the chief's quarters...I hope that the children do not give you too much trouble. I know Timmy can be a lot of trouble some of the time but then I guess we were all young at one time or another...Say I was talking about a car the other day. And one of the fellows said that a Pontiac was a pretty good car to have...Say how is everything running around there. I mean the washing machine, stove, and other things. I am certainly glad that I got you that mixer when I did. Believe it or not I still have not gotten that motor fixed by the sparktricians...I guess I told you that we have in the bank now about 600.00. So that old pile is growing up again. We sure did tear it down when we bought the house didn't we? But it was certainly worth it wasn't it?"

Ruth with her 'cowboy'.

769 Del Mar Avenue- 1959

769 Del Mar Avenue-1959

The new Pontiac and house.

Timmy with his bow tie. 1959

Buss, asleep on the couch in the chief's quarters. 1958

Sandra and Timmy with the new Pontiac--1959

 

No comments:

Post a Comment