Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Sunday, January 5, 2014

"Guam"

3 August 1958
"I am down here in Guam...I received a telephone call from someone on the beach...It was Douglas Frazier. Yes, the couple that used to live next door to us in the trailer park in Chula Vista...They took me to play Bingo with them. They even bought the cards. Well you would not believe it but I won the second time around and guess what I took for my present. I picked up a Brownie Motion Picture Camera. So yesterday I bought some film and went along with the Fraziers to a beach out here and took a few pictures. I even had on one of those face masks and swim fins and floated around in the water looking at the bottom of the lagoon looking for odd shapes of fish and the like...My old ship is coming alongside of this ship today. The Halsey Powell, remember it. I spent my worst duty about that bucket of bolts. I hope I never have to go aboard another ship like that for duty."





No comments:

Post a Comment