Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Friday, January 10, 2014

17 August 1958
"I have been setting out on the deck for the past few minutes trying to cool off a bit. The weather out here is just unbearable. I went on a conducted tour of a pearl farm, where they raise oysters to make pearls with. Then we went over to the factory where they made the china that you have in your china closet. It cost me 50 cents to take the trip but it was well worth it. I have to do something or go completely insane...I have been having some trouble with my eyes as I have told you. I went over to the hospital to have my eyes tested...I doubt it very much if you or the children will know me when I come back with my glasses and mustache...I do know that we are behind in our work a bit but I can't see working that much as we are only on this earth a short time and time really goes by fast...I don't mind your not writing as I know that you are tired after a days work with the children...Please get to bed on time and don't stay up late in the morning. I know that you will feel better if you get more sleep."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment