Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Sunday, January 19, 2014

"...burn this letter..."

18 October 1958
"Here we are back in Sasebo, Japan again after a few weeks in the harbor of Okinawa...I do want to go ashore and do some Xmas shopping before too long as I have to get it in the mail as soon as possible. I'll be here till Xmas anyway and I don't like it one bit better than you do so I have to take it as it comes. Its really going to be tough on me to be away from my family this year. Sometimes, I just feel like setting down and crying. At least this is the last year that I'll be away from you...Do you have any more pictures that I have not seen there at home?...Dear, I know how you must feel about me being over here, but I just can't help it. I would do anything to be back there with my family. I know that you must have a hard time of it there by yourself...I just wish that you would drive and that way you could go where you wanted to...I sure do wish that I could set on the sofa with you and watch TV. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. I want you to burn this letter when you get through reading it. Now don't forget."

Note: It was not this writer who crossed out the portion of this letter. I am guessing that it was Ruth.

Sandy with her doll-Christmas 1959
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment