Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Friday, January 17, 2014

Letter from Buss' Mom [with video]

"Minonk Ill Oct-9/58
Thursday 10-till Eleven oclock

Hello there Ruth and children- and how are you coming? Sure was nice to hear from you. You will make it. Just let some things go, it will all come in time, take care of the children. I am sure glad you have not no baby, but I guess they need watching and that takes time. Yes, Ruth, we have had some good times. How I looked for you at nite around 10 oclock. It was surely worth while getting "up for". After you  made that 100 mile trip; my those were the days, but you will be here again, and make it home for awhile. Buss says he is going to go East and then you will stop here, it will all come again. He expects to get a different car. It can not be too soon to suit me. I think the way the paper reads, and radio the war news is slacking a little. Hope so. We have been having rains off and on, very nice. Had only one frost and that was not bad. Been doing cleaning, have to wash windows, have cookies to bake. I still can taste your lemon pie. Best "I ever had", and you sure do good cooking. I am old fashioned cook- get by. Best wishes. I wrote to Buss yesterday and may the Good protect and keep you and your family. As ever Mom"

Katie, Tim, Martin, and Ruth Gerdes-1958



No comments:

Post a Comment