Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Friday, January 10, 2014

20 August 1958
"I sure would like to see little Sandra and Timmy again. Do they ever say anything about me. I hear that Payne's wife and another chief's wife stopped there one day to talk to you. Don't worry, I get the word from someone. I have to keep a close look on you...My eyes have been getting worse every month... Just think I have less than a year to do in this Navy...I went down town last nite to do some walking. First I went to the CPO Club and had a steak for nothing...Then I was watching some Japanese children fish for eels in a tank that was setting on one of the streets. Some man came up to me and started talking very good English...I bought him a cup of ice coffee...He gave me his address and I gave him mine so maybe some day we will hear from him. He was a very good Christian and he told me that he could not see the American Sailors throwing away their money like they do on women and drinks...Take it easy and make yourself pretty during the day, as you never know who may come to see you. Take good care of the children for me."

Front door of 769 Del Mar Avenue-Buss and Ruth's home
Back yard view of 769 Del Mar Avenue


Original receipt for appliances and furniture for their new home.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment