Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

28 September 1958
"First of all I have received the pictures back from Mom and I have them in my locker...I would like to keep them to look at ever so often...Maybe I should not tell you about this, but I will anyway. One of the fellows aboard ship got a message from the Red Cross yesterday telling him that his little daughter had passed away. She was just three months old. So they sent him back to the States on emergency leave...The Chiefs had a picnic the other day, but I never went as I am not a drinking man. A lot of the chiefs are laughing at me by staying on board as much as I do. Well I respect my family more than they do and that is the reason that I don't go ashore and do the things that they do. I'll have all of that when I get home, won't I?...Anderson has paid all of the money back for the TV that we bought them. I guess his wife is getting big as a barn by now. Aren't you glad that is all over with for you. I hate to see a woman in that condition. As I know what they must go through to have a baby."

Ruth, when she was getting 'big as a barn'. November 1956
 

No comments:

Post a Comment