Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

"MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING:"

25 December 1952
"I went to church this morning with Styles...the preacher had a very good sermon...We sang a lot of Christmas Carols as the Chief musician played the organ...Last nite there were several guys that came back from Paris on a tour...There was one fellow that stayed intoxicated all the time and really made a fool of himself. Gee, I am certainly glad that you and I don't drink or smoke. You just can't imagine how pleased that I am about that...I wonder where we will be having Xmas dinner next year. That is a long way off yet isn't it...Well I cut into the fruit cake last nite and had a great big chunck. I must say that it was some of the best that I have eaten on this trip. I mean that I have eaten some of the others and that was the best. That is what a couple of the other fellows said too. Most of the fruit cakes that I have seen come out here in the mail are "store boughten" but not yours."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment