Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Oran, French Morocco

20 January 1953
"Dearest: Well, darling the time is really getting short now. In fact, we only have about 16 days till I'll be in the arms of my darling. Boy that will certainly be swell won't it?...Say I bought you some of that Habinata perfume that you were telling me about. I was going to wait till later, but the fellows talked me into buying it right now. I paid $3.00 for it. I sure hope that you like it...Did you know that Dorothy's dad died suddenly in Illinois. You know, Ike's wife's dad. He was putting on chains and his son found him laying down in the snow...Well when you get that age, you can expect it. Now you take us young chickens, we still have a long time to go, that is if the Lord lets us live that long...I was listening to President Ike's inaugural address tonite. We had it on the radio. It came in very plain all that distance. I sure hope that things start to look up from now on. I guess they all do their best...Well I have to close now But I'll be looking forward to seeing you. Good bye you little doll. Your Old Man, Clark Buss Gerdes"
Ruth (Buss), Dorothy (Ike) , Ellen (Tub), and Marilyn (Dorothy's daughter) Gerdes


 

No comments:

Post a Comment