Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

At Sea on the Way to Valencia, Spain

6 January 1953
"Well we are underway again for another port...Before we leave for Norfolk, we will have hit 13 all together. It sure would have been nice if you could have followed us around to the different ports...The Admiral had his wife in every port so far. But I believe the Admiral draws a little more money that I do every payday...I go up for chief again on the 3rd of Feb. I doubt it very much if I even make a good showing this time as I never get the chance to do much studying. I guess I'll make it before my twenty is up...We hit another bad storm again last nite. I don't think that I slept over one hour all nite. I just could not get comfortable in my bunk. As soon as I was about to sleep, we would roll over and I would have to hang on for dear life or I would fall out on the deck."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment