Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Monday, October 14, 2013

18 January 1953
"We are going to get into Oran tomorrow morning...I understand that there will be around 36 ships in there. That is quite a few in one place...I got up before reveille this morning as usual. By doing that I can beat the crowd that is lined up for the wash rooms...I have a couple of kids that want to help me simonize the car and trailer some week end...I want to get the trailer all fixed up so when I get my orders, it will be ready to roll...there isn't a soul up here in the office except me. And I can say what I want to in this letter, and nobody will read it....I suppose that you think that I don't think of nothing else but that, but I think of how I am going to love you when I get home too. That is sure going to be nice when I see you come running up to me when I get off the ship...I think that you had better tear up this letter instead of keeping it like you do all the rest. Because if you put this one in the drawer, it may cause a fire in there, it being so hot."
Buss and the trailer and car.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment