Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

[Christmas Eve 1952]

24 December 1952
"All the fellows said that the fruit cake [you sent]  was one of the prettiest that they had ever seen...The mess halls have streamers of red and green flying from the over head...A Frenchman just brought in some boxes in here but he could not speak English so I talked French to him a bit. I don't do so good at it but I get along...I am sorry that you are so cold at nite...I believe that I would leave the stove on at nite, you can turn it down low and that way you won't have to worry about it...Thanks for the Xmas card that you sent me. All the fellows that received Xmas cards have them strung up here in the office on a line just like you used to do when we were together...Boy did these guys in here ever get a laugh the other day. Mom wrote a letter to me on the back of one that I wrote her. They could not get over that. They said that I got my tightness from her OK."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment