Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Marseille, France

22 December 1952
"I just stopped over at the tailor shop and had a handfull of peanuts that one of the fellows had gotten from home. You see I travel all around the ship at different times just to let the people know that I am still aboard and that way I always keep up friendship with different places. Of course I always go out of my way to help other people out...I was looking at more house plans tonite...and I have one picked out that is a pip, a large picture window and fireplace like you have always said that you wanted...You should see the ship all decked out in Xmas attire. We have a string of colored bulbs strung from the bow of the ship to the stern. Then in the middle between the two smoke stacks, we have a large star which goes on and off all nite long. Then over each gangway we have an arch of colored lights...I just wish that you could see it...I believe that we are to have some orphans come aboard ship for a party. We collected some money from each sailor to help buy some presents for the children. I put in $1.00 so I have one dollar less that I started with. But I don't mind as the orphans really deserve it."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment