Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Thursday, February 6, 2014

"...when that last day comes around"

20 January 1959
"This is the last letter that you will receive before I leave from Kobe...You told me that you were coming down to the pier with Mrs. Gurney. Chief Gurney told me today that his wife was picking you up too so I guess you will make out OK...We are getting underway about 2:00 PM tomorrow. I understand that we are expected to hit some rough weather before we reach the States. We have all our storerooms tied down pretty good...I know that you will look very pretty when you come down to the dock to watch us. I'll try and take some pictures of you when I come alongside the pier. I bet that I don't sleep very much when that last day comes around. I don't think that I'll sleep very much when I get home either?????...P.S. Tell the children that I'll be coming home before too long."
Ruth and the children-circa 1959



No comments:

Post a Comment