Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Dishes...glassware...crystal.

4 January 1959
"I guess our minds run in the same channel as I was thinking about getting dishes for the table for every day use about the same time you were thinking about it. In fact, I bought a set of dishes the other day...and some glassware too. So now we can really set a good table when I get back there...So you liked the necklace that I got for you. I knew that you always like to wear some kind of jewelry so I thought that looked very good. It is crystal, or did you know that. One would pay about $20.00 for that in the States...The Chiefs had the Captain down for dinner yesterday and gave him a Hi-Fi set. You see he is leaving about the time we get in. We all chipped in and bought it for him. He is a very good man, especially to the Chiefs."


Glassware set bought by Buss in Japan in 1959.

Sample of the 'every day' dishes and glassware set.

The crystal necklace that Buss bought for Ruth for Christmas 1958.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment