Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Monday, February 3, 2014

Have a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year

22 December 1958
"Say I was talking with one of the Dentists on this ship the other day and he showed me a couple of "bedroom" chairs that he had purchased over here for $15.00 each. I sure do like them and I may get a couple of them. I am going to get a set of glass ware and a set of cheap china for every day for us. After all I want you to set a nice table when I get back there...Tess says that they would sure like to come down to see us. I guess they thought a lot of us when we were there. Remember Tess had tears in her eyes when we left. Well I try to make myself presentable to other people and I guess sometimes it helps...My I wish that you could see our quarters now. We have drapes up and we have a sort of a lounge to set in to listen to the hi-fi and watch TV. Naturally we don't have TV out here, but when I have the duty back there maybe I can enjoy some of it. Well Dear this is the last letter that I will be writing you before Xmas so have a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year, the best way you know how without me there."
Emily Ruth, their grand-daughter, sitting in one of the 'bedroom chairs' Buss bought. (1992)


No comments:

Post a Comment