Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Thursday, February 6, 2014

"Good Bye and Good Luck"

25 January 1959
"Well this is the last letter that I will be writing to you from Japan...We are in Kobe, Japan now and I went ashore yesterday with two other Chiefs and we walked our feet off during the afternoon...Well Dear, I want to thank you for all the letters that you wrote to me while over here this time. Who would have thought that I would have been over here this long this time. I still don't have any orders. I really don't know what to do. I want to do 22 years in the Navy, that is if I can get some good duty around Sand Diego where I can be home every nite...Get plenty of rest before I come home. Well I'll be seeing you on the 9th of February. 
Good Bye and Good Luck  
Your Loving Husband  
Buss"

Note: This is the last letter Buss sent to Ruth from overseas. He retired from the Navy on February 16, 1960, after putting in a little more than 20 years and 2 months of active duty. Although this chapter in Buss and Ruth's life has ended, the blog will continue for a short time to complete the story with additional papers and letters from Buss to his mother, nephew, neighbor, and daughter. An Epilogue, if you will.

Clark A. Gerdes, SKC, USN

 
The Stars and Stripes circa 1959


 

No comments:

Post a Comment