Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Friday, February 14, 2014

Epilogue #3 1967-1969

Epilogue #3 1967-1969
Note: During these years, Buss, Ruth, and kids would go on summer road trips with their 1962 Ford Country Squire station wagon and trailer and then, starting in 1968, their camper crisscrossing the United States and occasionally Canada. Buss enjoyed caring for his family, home, yard, and visiting with neighbors in the southern California sunshine.

1 May 1967
"Hi Skip-
Thanks for remembering your old buddy out here...Well I am all by myself now. Ruth went to the local movie tonite. I just put the children in bed...We have had some really good rains out here this spring. Our lawns really look "neat"...We are looking forward to our vacation this summer. We leave on the 16th June and head toward Canada. We will stop at Yellowstone, Glacier Park and probably hit Calgary, for the round up...We have a 16' travel trailer which we pull behind the Ford-FORD (Fix or Repair Daily)...I suppose your dad is busy with his field work. I am glad I never stayed on the farm. Now I can wait on the mailman every month to bring my check...I write to a boy in Vietnam-He used to live about a block away from us. He is working in the office section-not fighting...Timmy is in 6th grade this year. Sandy is in 3rd and young Debbie is in Kindergarten. I meet a lot of people who think I am my children's "Grandfather". How about that?...Uncle Buss
P.S. How many touchdowns did the San Francisco Giants make? You can tell I watch all these sporting events. - In a pigs eye I do."
Buss's bother, Carl, Ellen, and their boys, Craig, and Steve (Skip) Circa 1965

Steve and Buss-circa 1973


Their Ford with the travel trailer-1967

Ruth-1967

Buss-1967

Buss-1967


Debbie - 1st Grade

Timmy - 5th grade

Sandra - 3rd Grade
The family at Buss' brother, Ike's, house in Roanoke, IL. 1968

Buss' brother, Martin (Ike) and Dorothy, with Buss and Ruth. 1968

The homestead-1968

No comments:

Post a Comment