Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

"I'll write till the last minute"

28 December 1958
"I don't think that we should sink all our money that we have saved up for a car. Maybe we should have a few dollars put away for an emergency. I am only trying to look out for ourselves Dear. I know that you want a good car, and so do I, but I can't see going in debt for a car...I seen the movies [made at the Christmas Party of the dependents for the sailors out at sea] again the other day, I could see them every day, but they are going to cut up the film and give each part of it to the respective family that is being showed on it...It has been a pretty hard row to hoe there by yourself. I sure hope that you get down to the dock to see us get in. If you are there, I'll take some movies of you and the children when we get up close enough...What do you think about the rubber deal? I don't want anymore dear, children that is...Now don't write any more letters after the 13th of January. I'll write till the last minute."

The Pontiac which they purchased in 1959.



No comments:

Post a Comment