Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Epilogue #2 1963-1966

Epilogue #2
1963-1966
[Letter to Buss' mom, Katie Gerdes, in the Roanoke Nursing Home]
3 Nov 1963
"Sandy has a bad cough so Ruth and her stayed home from Sunday School this morning. I pick up two other children and take them to church with us...Got two raise in pay during the last week. One from my retired pay and one from where I work...Debbie's picture came out very nice. Intend to send you one as soon as I get them back. She talks a blue streak now...Timmy was outside playing but came in and said he did not feel very good. I guess we will all get sick...Paid my telephone bill for last month-$17.00 even. Everything is so high out here...Well Mom, how do you like your new bedroom? I guess you have some of your old friends there...You missed all the "Trick or Treats" for the kids on Halloween. We had about 50 children here. Even Debbie went out with a Red Riding Hood costume on. Timmy had on a clown suit, and Sandy had on a Pirate suit. I just wore my own face.--------"
Official US Navy Photograph-Naval Supply Center-28 May 1963 (Buss is back row, left)
(wrong date) Debbie, circa late 1963.

 
Memorial Card for Katie Gerdes, Buss' mother.
The family circa 1963

Timmy, Debbie, Sandy-circa 1964
Debbie - Feb. 1964

Ruth, at home. Circa 1965.
Naval Supply Center-Official US Navy Photograph-28 September 1965. (Buss is in front row, 2nd from left)
Buss' U.S. Naval Supply Center Activity Pass-Issued 11/1966

No comments:

Post a Comment