Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

10 May 1953
"I sure do miss you...this weekend I took off and went to Hollywood and places around there. I hitchhiked all the way up and stayed at a hotel...I had to pay three dollars for the room but I figured I could do that as I never spent one no not one red cent for anything to eat all the whole week end. You see I spent most of my time at the USO and they fed me quite well...I took in a television show, "Meet Millie"...Then at nite I had a ticket to a Radio Broadcast..."Hollywood Barn Dance" featuring Jimmie Wakely. I really enjoyed that...I stood on the corner of Hollywood and Vine streets and walked to Graumann's Chinese Theater and seen all the foot and hand prints in the sidewalk. I even seen Betty Grable's leg prints in the concrete...The next morning I started to hitchhike back to Long Beach...a fellow picked me up and actually gave me a tour of the big places in Hollywood, the street that Jack Benny lives on...then he took me to the Farmer's Market for breakfast and paid for it himself...I had dinner at another USO in Long Beach and then I went to hear Charles E. Fuller and the Old Fashioned Revival Hour...I sure wish that you were here. I see all the other couples together and that makes me feel very very lonesome...I had tears in my eyes again while at the Fuller broadcast..."

Betty Grable's leg prints in cement at Graumann's Chinese Theater, Hollywood


No comments:

Post a Comment