Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Friday, December 13, 2013

"Your loving husband Buss"

9 May 1957
"Say thanks for the other picture of Sandra. I certainly do like to look at her. I think that girl is beautiful. I am just going to hug and hold her when I get to you and the children on the pier or dock when we get back. I sure do wish that you will be able to get down there...Boy we are losing a lot of our fellows when we get back to the States. You see back in 1955 when we were still in Blue Island, the Navy drafted several thousand fellows for two years service in the Navy. Well all those fellows are getting out of the Navy now...I lose about 9 fellows altogether. So that leaves me with plenty of work to do...One of the chiefs on here had a telegram the other day telling him about his brother dying. He was 32 years old and had a fatal stroke. So now he is flying back to Arkansas. We all gave him a dollar a piece to fly back with."



No comments:

Post a Comment