Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Fukagawa "Silver Lichen"

6 July 1957
"I was ashore today and spent some money. So I'll have to give you the run down of how I spent it. First of all, I purchased a set of swell dishes today. I am sending the picture of the set that I bought to you now. I hope you like it. I thought that I had better get something rather conservative. As you can see I paid $43.00 for the set for twelve. There is a cream and sugar set, two platters, gravy boat, casserole, bread and butter dish, plates, salad plate, soup plate, fruit dish, cup and saucer and something called a baker. So you can see that we have plenty of dishes to serve 12 people at one time. I don't know when we will have that many, but it's always nice to have them on hand. Then too we can have them in a china closet for show...Give Timmy a hair cut before you leave there as I don't want people to think that we can't afford a haircut for the boy. I'll bet that doll of mine is really pretty isn't she?...I'll drop you a picture of the dishes that I have bought so you can look them over. They cost $43.00."

Note: This same set of dishes was my main inheritance when my mother passed away in 2005. They had been stored away, since they were purchased, in the bottom shelves of our china cabinet at home. I do not ever remember them being used. Since 2005, we have entertained dozens and dozens of guests using these dishes as well as using them for our day-to-day dishes for our family of 6, which has recently grown to 7. Good purchase, Dad.
 









Additional note: You may have noticed that Buss chose to purchase the most expensive set of dishes in this brochure. Interesting, considering how frugal a man he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment