Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Friday, November 29, 2013

"Be a good little boy..."

23 March 1957
"I went over the other day and ordered ribbons for my uniforms. I am getting four sets of them, two for blues and two for khaki. I have to pay 2800 Yen, which amounts to about 8 dollars in American money...I guess it won't be long till I can expect to receive some pictures of Timmy and Sandra from you...Just think that we have a boy and a girl, a perfect family...Oh yes, I had the watch on the gangway this morning and there were about 150 fellows that came aboard after staying over there in some place last nite. And you know that they did not have their own wives over there. Yes I am lucky that I have a wife like you to take care of my children and other things...
PS: Timothy, do as your mother tells you to. Daddy will be home pretty soon. But until I am there be kind to your mother and don't make her upset. She is only trying to help you. So be a good little boy and Daddy will bring you something from far away. Daddy"

No comments:

Post a Comment