Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

"I am CHIEF"

26 April 1956
""I really don't do much when I have the duty except stand a few watches...That way I'll be getting out of inspection. But I would rather be going to inspection than to stand a watch. But I guess that all goes along with being a chief...Some of the fellows have been going over to the Chief's Club. But I have not been in one as yet. I think that they do a lot of drinking in those. So it's best that I stay right here on the ship and watch Television at nite. I have a top bunk, and at my age, I just make it up there by the skin of my teeth. Maybe after I am on here a while, I'll be able to get me one in the middle or so. My locker is in a bad place too, but I can't expect to have the best one on here. After all, I am the junior chief on here. But I am CHIEF."

Clark A.Gerdes, SKC, USN

Finally moved to Chula Vista, CA...their final town destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment