Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Monday, November 4, 2013

"U.S. Navy Recruiting Station, Chicago, Illinois"

24 February 1956
"Well I reckon you made the trip OK...I washed the remaining dishes and picked up a few things...I washed the rugs and the bed spread and the remaining diapers that were left in the container...Tonite I expect to iron the shirts and straighten out a few other things...You stay there as long as you want to or until I send for you. Remember you won't be back there for a long time to come. That is if you and the baby are not too much bother for your mother or sister...Did Timothy quit crying when you got settled down on the train? I think he was more scared than anything else...I will keep you informed of any news. That is if I can get some time in between all the Gals that keep running in on me when I am at home."

Note: Buss and Ruth got their long-awaited wish with the birth of Timothy Martin (named after Buss' father Martin) on November 27, 1954. They had been married just over 8 years. 
 
Buss, Ruth, and Timothy--circa 1955


No comments:

Post a Comment