Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Sunday, November 24, 2013

17 March 1957
"...it is Sunday afternoon and I just finished eating dinner...we had steak today along with mushrooms, french fries, and lima beans. For dessert we had banana ice cream...Denson went over last nite and got half a snoot on. I mean he had a few drinks too many. But he is OK again this morning again. Aren't you glad that we don't drink and tear around like some people...Say a lot of the fellows are having some of their most prized pictures hand painted over here. I wish that you would send me some of Timmy's pictures where I can get it hand painted over here...I received a letter from the "Woman" [Buss's mother, Katie] the other day and she told me that there was a farm close to Tub's that was sold for $1,000.00 per acre. I believe it was a 40 acre farm...That is the highest I have seen it since World War I...Boy it sure is lonesome out here. I don't go ashore like the other chiefs do...Do you think that you could make it down to the Pier when we get back there. I wish that you could..."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment