Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Monday, November 18, 2013

"back in Benson"

21 February 1957
"Guess what we had tonite. STEW, but it wasn't like you make back there. They forget to put the meat in it aboard here...I still want to write to Vera Mae Smilie back in Benson...I wrote for another book on plans of houses. I keep thinking of houses all the time over here. I guess someday I'll have a house of my own. Boy won't that be nice...Real estate is still climbing so I guess I might as well figure on paying about 18,000.00 for a house when I get back there. I don't really have that much so I guess we will have to go in debt for a couple of thousand dollars...I have, or will have 400.00 on the books this coming pay day so I ain't doing too bad. That is about 400.00 more than most of the fellows are saving over here...Maybe I am old fashioned but I still have a wife and two children to think about back in San Diego..."
"Vera Mae Smilie" may have been related to Emily Smilie, top row.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment