Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Friday, November 8, 2013

"Take care of yourself and the little ones"

13 January 1957
"Dear Ruth, Timmy & Sandra: "I see that we are within sight of the Hawaiian Islands...We are due in Japan about the 25th...I know that it will be hard for you to get along with the two children but try your best and I am sure that everything will be OK...There was something in the dope sheet (daily newspaper) that we would be back in San Diego on or about the 14th of August. Gosh that seems like a long time, don't it. But let's hope that it passes very fast. Sandra will be about 8 1/2 months old when I return. Boy this is certainly some life for a married man, isn't it?...We had a couple of shots in the arm the other day. I don't know what they were for, but I lined up with the rest of the people and took them like a man..."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment