Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Thursday, November 7, 2013

"(Father of a boy and girl)"

11 January 1957
"Well here we are out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean sailing along at about 17 knots...I seen a couple of the young fellows leaning over the life line feeding the fish. It seems funny, but I never got sea sick a bit this time out...Well how are you making it with my two children? The best thing to do with them is not to let them get under your skin. Just talk along with Timmy and I think that you will have better results...I know that you will take good care of them as you are careful with them as can be...Now remember you don't have to write me as often as you would like to as I know that you have your hands full most of the time. So just take it easy when they are both sleeping."

Note: It had been 9 months since we last heard from Buss. At the time of the last letter dated 26 April 1956, Ruth was pregnant with their long-awaited baby girl. Sandra Kay was born on December 8, 1956. One month later, Buss left on the U.S.S Ajax for a 6-month tour of duty to the Far East.
November 1956. Ruth was pregnant with Sandra Kay.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment