Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Friday, September 27, 2013

Letters to a Nephew

15 September 1952
"Hello Skip: Wish you were here to see all the things that you study about in school. I will write you soon so don't forget to look for a letter. Uncle Buss"

 


Gibraltar
6 October 1952
"...How is the "Lone Ranger" coming along? I'll bet that you listen to him every nite that he is on, don't you?...What grade in school are you this year? Do you still go to the school in the country or are you going to Washburn to school? How many lickings did you get today in school? Don't say that you never get one, as all kids get them. If you don't believe me, just ask your Dad and he will tell you different."


Ismir, Turkey
15 November 1952
"I received your most welcome letter...I will try and send you some cards from all the different countries that I visit while I am over here. I have some from Spain now, but in the near future I will have some from, Turkey, Greece, Italy, and France...We are having about 70 little boys that live over here in Turkey aboard this ship today. We are going to feed them and give them all the ice cream that they want. Most of them are orphans."
Note: These letters were saved by my cousin, Steve Gerdes, for over 60 years. The following letter is from Steve and in it he shares some of his thoughts and memories.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment