Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

11 December 1952
"All the boys here in the office including myself were just talking about our wives and girlfriends. How tall are you anyway? I told them about 5 foot, how close am I? Williamson's sisters husband is 6 foot 10 inches tall. How would you like for me to be that tall?...One of the fellows aboard ship got hurt today and they carried him off in a stretcher. He was working in one of the turrets of the ship and one of the guns crushed him...He was in pain when they carried him off the ship. Now don't worry about me as I don't have anything to do with the guns and the turrets...Next year by this time, we will have our own little bambino to look after won't we."
Buss and Ruth circa 1947

 

No comments:

Post a Comment