Letters from a Sailor

Letters from a Sailor
Clark "Buss" Gerdes, USN

Saturday, April 6, 2013

April 12, 1950
Hi Babe:
Well I finally reported aboard the U.S.S. Sperry. I think it will be OK. I have made out the papers for the furniture to be shipped. You will have to excuse this writing, as I can see nothing else around to write with. I can't tell you when the furniture will be picked up. But if I were you I would not pack anything till I heard from the movers. Now if you can find someone that will sign for the furniture as your mother did, I don't see why you can't come out here and stay in a hotel or a furnished room till the furniture gets here.But be sure to give the landlord 30 days notice and pay for those 30 days. Unless you have made arrangements with them.
Well I believe it would be a lot better if you flew out here. I know you don't want to. It would save you time and money. If you don't want to fly, take a train from Phily and go to Chicago and take the Santa Fe to San Diego. You would get off about 3 blocks from the Navy landing. Now I still have $200 left. You see I paid $75 for the apt. 60 for it. 5 for garage and 10 for a cleaning fee which we will get back when we leave it. Now you let me know as soon as possible if you don't have enough money. I still have $200 on the Books which I have not drawn from my pay. I would travel very light as the weather out here is Sunny. I can get the fender on the car fixed for about $4.00.
Now how is my little old lady? I guess I sorta missed you for awhile on the trip across. I could not keep warm at nite. Then I guess I missed your company too. What did you think of the cards I sent you? I tried to pick out the good ones for you. How have you been feeling, if you know what I mean.
Did you have an enjoyable Easter? Did you wear the orchid on your new suit?
Well I guess you ave getting pretty tired of this line of Bull. So write when you can to the following address:
Clark A.Gerdes SKI
U.S.S. Sperry AS-12
10th Div.
San Diego, Calif.
Our new apt. is 4623 1/2 Georgia, San Diego, Calif.


No comments:

Post a Comment